Phaius Lour., Fl. Cochinch. 2 (1790) 529
- Genus Cyanorkis Thouars, Nouv. Bull. Sci. Soc. Philom. Paris 19 (1809) 317
- Genus Hecabe Raf., Fl. Tellur. 4 (1836) 44
- Genus Pachyne Salisb., Trans. Hort. Soc. 1 (1812) 299
- Genus Pesomeria Lindl., Edwards's Bot. Reg. (1838) Misc. 5
- Genus Tankervillia Link, Handb. 1 (1829) 251
Sympodial terrestrial or less often epiphytic plants with very short rhizomes. Pseudobulbs short and thick, or elongated, or absent, consisting of more than one internode, few-leaved; when absent stem elongated, few- to several-leaved. Leaves sheathing at the base, glabrous, plicate, deciduous, convolute, thin-textured. Inflorescence lateral or basal, a few- to many-flowered raceme. Flowers medium-sized to large, resupinate, often showy. Sepals free. Petals free, usually rather similar to the sepals. Lip with or without spur, fused to the base of the column, basal part clasping the column. Column-foot absent. Pollinia 8, solid, caudicles present, stipe absent, viscidium absent.
Species present in New Guinea: